Do you believe the STEM community brings a valuable perspective to challenges faced by cities, counties, and states? Engineers & Scientists Acting Locally seeks to inspire, encourage, and empower people in STEM to be active civic participants. We are a dedicated group of volunteers working to help our fellow members of the STEM community more effectively engage with their local communities and governments. And we would be thrilled to have you join our ranks.
ESAL is looking for a volunteer to serve as part of our Workshops Team, which provides both customized and modular training resources for scientists and engineers interested in engaging locally.
As part of the ESAL Workshops Team, depending on your interests and experience, responsibilities may include:
- Assist with the development of customized workshop proposals, slide decks, interactive activities, and other materials; this will involve adapting existing ESAL materials as well as the creation of new content
- Plan and co-facilitate workshops for small-to-medium size groups
- Develop workshops and panel sessions for scientific conferences, including the recruitment of panelists, potentially in collaboration with ESAL partners
- Work with our communications team to produce multimedia training materials as part of a new self-paced training program currently under development
- Work remotely under the guidance of the ESAL Chair and Workshops Director
- Contribute ~5-10 hr/month of your time to do the above
- Make at least a 12 month commitment to volunteering with ESAL
In return, by volunteering with ESAL you will gain the opportunity to:
- Network with engineers and scientists across the country who are passionate about improving their communities
- Develop public speaking and group facilitation skills
- Develop communication skills and experience with content and program development
- Demonstrate a concrete commitment to science policy and community engagement
- Work with ESAL leadership - a dedicated team of engineers and scientists with deep experience in public policy
- Influence and shape a growing, high-profile science policy and engagement organization
Candidates who have experience with local policy engagement and public speaking are strongly preferred.
If you are interested in helping us change how engineers and scientists think about policy engagement, please contact us with a paragraph describing your interest and a link to a bio or an attached resume at email@example.com