Do you believe the STEM community brings a valuable perspective to challenges faced by cities, counties, and states? Engineers & Scientists Acting Locally seeks to inspire, encourage, and empower people in STEM to be active civic participants. We are a dedicated group of volunteers working to help our fellow members of the STEM community more effectively engage with their local communities and governments. And we would be thrilled to have you join our ranks.
ESAL is looking for a volunteer to oversee and grow our communications, marketing, and outreach activities. ESAL generates content through our web articles, events, and workshops and core to achieving our mission is sharing these resources broadly. If growing and managing a communications strategy for a small, high-impact organization sounds exciting, this might just be the right role for you!
As the ESAL Communications Director you will:
- Oversee ESAL’s external communications and marketing efforts, including:
- Providing oversight for the social media volunteers: arranging coverage for posts and determining who will monitor activity on ESAL’s various social media accounts;
- Supervising multimedia volunteers in turning existing content into featurettes; and
- Fulfilling event, workshop, and social media design needs through Canva.
- Employ your social media, multimedia, and design skills to onboard and train volunteers.
- Maintain ESAL’s brand - ensure that consistent brand/voice is used across all of ESAL’s graphic, social media, and multimedia projects.
- Serve on ESAL’s Leadership Committee, which meets once a month, collaborating with Directors of other ESAL teams.
- Work remotely under the guidance of the Managing Director.
- Contribute ~10 hr/month of your time to do the above.
- Make at least a 6 month commitment to volunteering with ESAL.
In return, by volunteering with ESAL you will gain the opportunity to:
- Network with engineers and scientists across the country who are passionate about improving their communities
- Demonstrate that you can develop and drive an organization’s communications strategy
- Demonstrate leadership in a science policy and civic engagement organization
- Influence and shape a growing organization that is receiving broad recognition from the science policy community due to its unique focus on non-federal engagement
If you are interested in helping us change how engineers and scientists think about policy engagement, please contact us with a paragraph describing your interest and a link to a bio or an attached resume at email@example.com